Monday, April 2, 2012

The Inaugural Post...

Yeah, so it's been about a month since I've arrived in India and this is my first post. Sorry about that. And it's not like I can say I've had a lot to do, because I really haven't. (I mean besides washing dishes. God, it feels like I'm always washing dishes.)

Anyways, Mr. ATK and I are adjusting well. He is off and running in his new job and I am what you would call a "lady of leisure," I suppose. This means, I read a lot, wander to the market and buy things (usually tomatoes) and surf the internet. It's rather boring. (It was especially boring in the first week when we had no internet and before I got my embassy ID. "Lady of Leisur-ing" is less boring with internet and access to the embassy pool. Still, I hope to get a job in the near future.)

So here's the straight skinny on life in India so far...

1.) Our apartment is very nice. Much bigger than anything Mr. ATK and I have had previously. Two bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms. So a nice bedroom to bathroom ratio. Could be because Indian food demands a lot of bathrooms. Or that could be a spurious correlation. I find Indian food delicious regardless.

2.) They have happy hour from noon until 10 pm. That seems more like a happy day to me. And this is everyday. Take that, Wisconsin!

3.) We live in a nice area of town with a Dominos, Papa John's, and Subway (not that that's how you define "good neighborhoods" in the US, but still...) At first glance, it doesn't seem very impressive though and I was a little disappointed admittedly. The thing is, things don't look nice from the outside. They look kind of dumpy really. But then you go inside and the shops are really nice. I kept ending up getting expensive lunches because I would walk in to some non-descript restaurant and then inside it would be really nice. I found a nice foot spa and an art gallery this way, too.

4.) There are a ton of waitstaff at restaurants. I am not kidding. I can only assume this is because of the incredible labor surplus (there are a billion people in this country after all.) Yesterday, I was getting take out and I counted 9 total patrons in the restaurant (8 plus me), and 11 staff (8 waiters and 3 other people.)

5.) I went to McDonalds and had a McSpicy Chicken sandwich. Don't judge me.





No comments:

Post a Comment